Friday, June 09, 2006

It's been awhile.

It's been awhile, and boy did I get some of those last picks wrong. Let's start from the top:

Evan Tanner VS Justin Levens.

I picked Tanner by TKO stoppage in the 2nd round. He did better than that. He finished Levens with a triangle in the very first round. Good for him.

David Terrell VS Scott Smith.

I picked Terrell by early submission. I was right. He choked out Smith in the first round. Good ole rear naked choke. The basics are often the best. If you don't know what a rear naked choke is, you suck. Just kidding. Still, you need to know. It's like the "sleeper hold" of professional wrestling, except this one actually works. In fact, you could kill someone with it. Crazy, huh?

Nick Diaz VS Sean Sherk

I picked Diaz by submission. I was wrong. Sherk dominated the fight, winning an easy unanimous decision.

Tito Ortiz VS Forrest Griffin

I said the following:

"Most folks don't give Griffin much chance, but I think he'll do okay. I don't think he'll win, but I don't think he'll embarrass himself. Griffin is strong and won't be muscled around as easily as Tito would like. He also has a good submission game, so Tito will need to be careful even when on top. All the same, Tito is too good of a wrestler. He'll get the takedowns and he'll control the fight. Tito by decision."

I was spot on. Some may argue that Forrest, while technically losing a decision, deserved to win the fight. I disagree. I thought Tito dominated the first round. Forrest won the second round. And Tito won the third round. Barely.

That's 2 rounds to 1. However you do the math, Tito wins it.

Andrei Arlovski VS Tim Sylvia

I predicted another knockout. I was right. But the other guy scored that knockout. Yup, Tim Slyvia battled back from a knockdown to knockout Arlovski. Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted. Tim now has the heavyweight belt strapped around his waist for a 2nd time.

Their third match is coming up here shortly. I say it's a toss up. Though Arlovski is, in my opinion, the better technical fighter, I'm not impressed with his chin. I can see Big Tim landing another short, crisp punch on Andrei's chin and putting him to sleep once again.

In fact. I think he will.

Now if only he could take on Fedor afterwards...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am practicing a naked choke hold right now. OHHHHHH MMMMYYYY GOD!!! That was good.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home