Thursday, September 21, 2006

UFC 63

Okay, it's been months since I last posted. I'm slack. Forgive me.

So anyway, UFC 63 hits us this Saturday, September 23rd of the great year 2006. Let's talk about it, shall we?

Now, I'm only going to talk about fights in which I've seen at least one of the two combatants in action before. If I don't know who you are, I'm not writing about you. Got it? Good.

So let's begin with:

Danny Abaddi VS Jorge Gurgel.

Both these guys are Ultimate Fighter alumni. Both of them lost their only fight in the show. Abaddi lost to eventual runner up, Ed Herman, in season 3, while Jorge Gurgel lost his opener against Jason Von Flue in season 2.

Now they fight one another.

Abaddi hits hard. Gurgel is a ground wizard who likes to bang. I see Gurgel winning this one. If he takes Abaddi down, he'll submit him rather neatly (Did I write that? Rather neatly? Sheesh...). If he chooses to stand and trade with Abaddi, the way he has with everyone I've seen him fight, he may get knocked out. Abaddi rocked Ed Herman in their fight and boasted of knocking guys out in 11 seconds. Gurgel should play it safe and get it to the ground post haste.

Gurgel by submission, round one.

Gabe Ruediger VS Melvin Guillard

This should be a good one. I've seen a lot of Melvin. I've even seen two of his pre-UFC fights in the Freestyle Fighting Championships (he was impressive) and most of his UFC matches. This is what he brings to the proverbial table:

1. Athleticism. Though he lost early in the Ultimate Fighter Season 2, he impressed viewers with his athletic ability. Even in his loss, he pulled off some rarely seen moves like a front sommersault to avoid a submission.

2. Power. Again, about his loss in the Ultimate Fighter. He broke Josh Burkman's arm when Burkman blocked a high kick from Melvin. Later, he knocked out Rick Davis with one perfect punch.

3. Experience. He already has 27 professional fights (this isn't counting his rumored amateur matches).

Now let's talk about Gabe Ruediger.

I've never seen him fight. However, I've seen some of the guys he has fought. Like Hermes Franca, for instance, who knocked Ruediger out. That's no terrible loss. Franca beats most of the guys he fights. But Ruediger was also knocked out by Sam Wells, who has lost more than he's won.

That may indicate a weak chin. He'll want to get this fight to the ground ASAP and work his jiu-jitsu. Ruediger has a submission win over the ever-exciting Olaf Alfonso among others. For his part, Melvin loses focus during fights and has gotten caught by submissions. He could this time as well.

But I don't think so.

Melvin Guillard by TKO in the 2nd round.

Jens Pulver VS Joe Lauzon

Hmm. Everyone knows Jens "Little Evil" Pulver, but I've never seen Joe Lauzon. Pulver has a ton of experience and he hits like a mule kicks.

Pulver by KO in the first round.

Jason Lambert VS Rashad Evans.

Well, we've seen plenty of Rashad. He's athletic, has fast hands, can take a punch and is an excellent wrestler. He's a tough nut to crack.

Jason Lambert has been on a tear of late, beating solid guys like: Rob MacDonald, Branden Lee Hinkle, Terry Martin, Travis Wiuff and Marvin Eastman.

This should be a close one. But I've learned one thing: never pick against Rashad Evans. He always finds a way to win. He'll find a way this time too.

Rashad by Unanimous Decision.

Mike Swick VS David Loiseau

Boy, this should be a good one for as long as it lasts. And I don't think it will last long. These guys both love to bang. And while Swick may arguably hit harder than Loiseau, I think Loiseau is the more accurate striker.

If they stay on their feet, Loiseau knocks him out. If it goes to the ground, Swick had better hope he lands on top, because Loiseau is a beast on the top position, raining down razorblade elbows. Swick could submit Loiseau. But I don't see it happening.

Loiseau by TKO in the 2nd round.

That's it for now. Tune in later for my detailed analysis of the Main Event: Matt Hughes VS BJ Penn. It's gonna be great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home